Sunday 21 May 2017, doors 7.30pm
Hailing from Northern Estonia, fiddler/singer Maarja Nuut combines traditional dance tunes, songs, and stories with live electronics to create an intricate layered soundscape in a space where minimalism and experimental music meet the village musical traditions of pre-war Europe. In her performance, Maarja searches for a lively and relaxed state like a cat poised to leap. She says this state ‘gives rise to music and makes me want to prolong being in the moment while altering ways of seeing, hearing and perceiving. It is always "now” and old tunes are as fresh as improvisations which were born a second ago’.
Released in Spring 2016, her second album Une Meeles explores the boundary between reality and dreams and was named one of the top 10 albums of 2016 by FRoots. The album was also picked by Songlines for their Top of the World accolade.
Praise for Maarja Nuut
- ‘One of the best releases of 2016, fiddler and singer Maarja Nuut delivers an exceptional listen that draws influences from her Estonian roots and displays her promising talent’ (Songlines)
- 'That’s what it sounds like when the snow sings’. (Simon Le Bon)
- ‘Maarja Nuut makes utterly compelling, hypnotic music in the simplest of ways /--/ Une Meeles feels like everything and nothing.’ (The Quietus)
£10 (£8 concessions) in advance and £12 (£10 concessions) on the door on the night.
They can be bought in three ways:
- ONLINE - via this webpage, click on Book.
- BY PHONE - Call More Music on 01524 831997 or Morecambe Visitor Information Centre on 01524 582808.
- IN PERSON - At More Music or Morecambe Visitor Information Centre.
HALF PRICE TICKETS FOR LOCAL RESIDENTS - There are 20 half price tickets available for West End residents with LA3 or LA4 postcodes (Half price of the full on-the-door price). Proof of address needed.