Sat 28 March, 8pm
Emily Barker & Gill Sandell
Plus support from Ciaran Lavery and Joe McCorriston
In association with
Emily Barker is the BAFTA award-winning writer of the theme to BBC TV crime drama Wallander starring Kenneth Branagh. She also wrote the atmospheric theme to Hugo Blick’s cult noir thriller The Shadow Line (the series won an Ivor Novello for best soundtrack in 2011).
After announcing a break from touring with her longtime backing band The Red Clay Halo, Emily is now busy writing songs for her next solo album. Alongside some old favourites, she will showcase some of her new songs here for the first time, accompanied by Gill Sandell.
Emily has composed music for two films that see their release in 2015: The Keeping Room (Sam Worthington, Brit Marling, premiered at the BFI London Film Festival, on general release 1 Jan 2015) and Hec McAdam (her first full feature length soundtrack - the film stars Peter Mullan and Keith Allen, to be released later in 2015).
Emily released three albums with The Red Clay Halo (Despite The Snow, Almanac and Dear River). Her first solo album was Photos.Fires.Fables. which has just been re-issued in new packaging with three bonus tracks.
Praise for Emily Barker
- "Heartfelt songwriting” The Times
- "Emily Barker has a gift for great melodies” Guardian
- "Barker’s voice can’t fail to grab people’s attention” The Word Magazine
Hailing from the small Irish village of Aghagallon, alt-folk troubadour Ciaran Lavery has channeled the quiet despair of isolation into timeless songs of beauty and heartache. Lavery has the ability to demand an audience effortlessly and truly captivates the spirit through expertly crafted songs and an astonishing voice filled with meaning, passion and heart.
- "Ciaran Lavery speaks many languages. He is fluent in heartache and lonesome. He can do pleading and empathy and even a smattering of hopeful. All of this is conducted in the most remarkable voice. It comes from the deeps of his soul and it reaches yours without much ceremony” Stuart Bailie, BBC
- "We’re expecting big things of this gentleman!” Hot Press
- "a songwriter of real note, with a voice that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. A truly unique talent” Ralph McLean,BBC
Joe McCorriston is a 20 year old Singer/Songwriter from Morecambe. He has two releases to his name, 2011's EP "One Day" as well as 2012's album "Try As You Might", both receiving fantastic reviews. Joe has a reputation for being a hard working, DIY, touring machine, playing an average of over 150 gigs a year, as well as being a regular on the small festival circuit with appearances at festivals such as Kendal Calling, 2000 Trees, and Rebellion Punk Festival.
He has also toured/shared the stage with the likes of Frank Turner, The Blockheads, The Heartbreaks, Chris T-T, Gaz Brookfield, and many more in his short career. With a new EP "Sick & Sand" on it's way in late 2014, as well as many more planned UK & European tours for 2015, the future is looking bright for Joe.
Tickets are available for the reduced rate of £10 (£7 concessions) in advance. On the night, tickets will cost £12 (£9 concessions).
You can buy tickets in advance in three ways:
- Click on Book below to buy online via our official ticket agents Brewery Arts Centre. Online tickets will add a booking fee of £1.50 per transaction.
- Call 01524 831 997 to buy over the phone. There is a booking fee of 50p per transaction for card purchases.
- You can buy tickets in person from our venue the Hothouse and from Morecambe Visitor Information Centre in the Platform.