Sun 7 December, 8pm
Support from Eliza Jaye
In association with
We’ve very pleased to welcome Moulettes back to the Hothouse for a third time after their two fantastic previous gigs with us. Renowned for their breathtaking live shows few bands have the creative range and work ethic of Moulettes. Containing a mix of self taught and classically trained members who have shared the stage and studio with the likes of Mick Jagger, Nick Cave, Seasick Steve, Bonobo and Dave Gilmour, their significant initial period was spent playing live and promoting the Den Of Iniquity nights in London that brought a host of acts to public prominence. After seven years of being a live band it was only in 2009 that their eponymous debut was released. This was followed in 2011 by ‘The Bear’s Revenge’, an album that saw MOJO hail them as "complex and beautiful…intriguing and unique”. Moulettes have constantly been on the road for 5 years and have played festivals as varied as Cropredy to End of the Road.
Moulettes released their third studio album and their first for Navigator Records ‘Constellations’ on June 2nd. Recorded in studios, churches, tunnels, workshops and bedrooms around Brighton, Lewes and South Wales in the summer of 2013, it is their most complete and ambitious album to date. Few bands are able to call upon such a willing, prestigious and diverse group of guests. The album features a chamber orchestra that includes performances from legends Arthur Brown and Herbie Flowers (Lou Reed, Bowie) and contemporaries Blaine Harrison (Mystery Jets), The Unthanks, Emma Richardson (Band Of Skulls) and a host of players from Sweden, Germany, Greece, Holland, South Africa, Australia, Scotland and Bosnia.
Praise for Moulettes
- "Delicious music…Complex, beautiful, Intriguing & unique” **** MOJO
- "Divine harmonies…Orchestral folk at its very finest.” ***** Time Out
- Sophisticated and Unpredictable **** The Guardian
- "A cross between Pentangle, The Kronos Quartet, Kate Bush & early Pink Floyd– Reuters.
- "Tireless live grafters & entertainers. Different & full of enchantment.” 8/10 UNCUT
- "A big reputation as a great live band. A rampant musical imagination” –Froots Magazine
- "The best music I heard at Latitude was by the Moulettes” The Independent
- "...songwriting of rare depth and inventiveness…” **** Songlines
- "All the best bits of Bjork and Midlake, Moody, intense and modern as well” - Huffington Post
This gig is now sold out.