More Music is an official Champion of Ten Pieces, an exciting new initiative for primary schools led by BBC Learning and the BBC Performing Groups, focusing on classical music and creativity.
What are the Ten Pieces III?
- Kerry Andrew No Place Like - Commission for a cappella voices
- Mason Bates Anthology of Fantastic Zoology – Sprite; A Bao A Qu
- Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges Symphony No. 1 in G major – Allegro (1st mvt)
- Aaron Copland Rodeo – Hoe-Down
- Antonín Dvořák Symphony No. 9 in E minor, 'From the New World’ – Largo (2nd mvt)
- Edward Elgar ‘Enigma’ Variations – Theme (‘Enigma’), variations 11, 6 & 7
- Carl Orff Carmina burana – ‘O fortuna’
- Henry Purcell Abdelazer – Rondeau
- Jean Sibelius Finlandia
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker – Waltz of the Flowers; Russian Dance
What we can do
- Make an instant orchestra and take it in turns to conduct - feel the energy flow back and forth from leader to musician.
- Actively listening to one or more of the pieces – create a giant whole class drawing which can then spark new ideas.
- Compose using fragments or samples from the original pieces either using music technology or live instruments.
- Further exploration of a particular composer’s work. What’s their signature style and what made them tick?